Monday, December 29, 2008

Victorian Orchid

This card was made for MitchellMackinac's Uniquely Antiqued swap. I distressed the background paper myself. Here's how:

First, I tore some pages out of an old Alice in Wonderland book and crumpled them up. After I uncrumpled the papers, I applied the distress ink and misted the papers with water. The papers dried over night, and I ironed them flat in the morning. It was great fun, and I love the result.

I chose Alice in Wonderland because it was published during the Victorian era. During this time, the orchid was a popular flower in England. The "lace" on the side of the card is actually part of a doily. I didn't have enough rubber to carve a stem on this orchid, and I'm glad I didn't. I like the stem this way. The flower is colored lightly with chalks, and it is adhered with a foam dot.

Thanks, Michelle, for giving me that rubber. You were a life saver. I had a great time making this card in your craftroom.


cath said...

This card is even more beautiful in person. I was wondering how you did the background paper--the print did not get damaged at all.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with cath, it is so beautiful in person! The whole purpose of that swap was for people to try something they had never done (even me) and the results were astonishing :) Your cards are always top notch!