Sunday, February 21, 2010
Saturday, February 20, 2010
I have had this stamp on my To Do List for a long time, and I finally carved it about a month ago. I had a heck of a time getting a good image with it, though. I even bought new stamp pads and everything. With the help of 3 Blind Mice, I've arrived at the conclusion that the iron-on method affects the way the rubber (PZ Orange) takes ink. It's not noticable at all when the stamp is negative, but when the stamp has lots of positive area, you can see the splotchiness. (I hope I have my positives and negatives straight there.) I've had it happen recently with 5 of my stamps, and I never had this problem before I started using the iron on method.
I carved this stamp to plant at the Chapel of Our Lady of La Leche in St. Augustine, FL. (If you're ever in St. Augustine, then you simply must visit this place.)
This image is embossed on vellum. I colored it in with markers and added the black border. I was trying to make the card look kind of like a stained glass window.
I only made 5 of these.
I started reading the Sherlock Holmes books last year, and I absolutely love them. When Tyra, my dearest friend, asked me to carve a stamp for her City of Books event in April, I chose to do Sherlock Holmes.
I found an image that I loved, but I had no idea how to turn it into something carvable. The 3 Blind Mice came to my rescue, and I decided to carve this 2-layered stamp. Thanks, Mice!
The frame isn't on the card, by the way. I put it on electronically.
"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know."